All The World's A Stage...

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" -As You Like It, William Shakespeare

Friday, June 30, 2006

Its our problem free philosophy...

Hakuna Matata. No Worries. It seems like a pretty good idea, but then if it is such a good idea, why does Simba in one of the next scenes in the Lion King decide that it is best to take responsibility and let all the worries of the pride be put on him? Maybe because having no worries is about taking responsibility for your actions, just not overly stressing over it. When I stayed at my homestay in Ireland, "no worries" seemed to be my homestay mother's favorite phrase. I admit that I spilled stuff alot at dinner (try at least once every meal), I would apologize roughly a thousand times, just to be greeted with a "no worries" as she would swipe it up with a paper towel. She didn't of course mean "let's not worry about it, the tea can just sit there on the table, for all I care", but of course rather "why should you be worried about a problem that can so easily be taken care of?". Of course, this was not the only situation it was used in, she greeted other situations with it as well, but all with the same sort of meaning. I think that's the actual message of the phrase, not to take no responsibility at all, but instead to take care of the problem without stressing out over it or worrying too much.

4 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

How did you get so smart? Must be heredity. If so, can I inherit your wisdom?

10:28 PM  
Blogger CSL said...

In Tanzania, most requests or apologies were responded to with "Hakuna matata." Aside from the annoying side effect of lodging the song in my brain, I loved that attitude.

4:26 AM  
Blogger King of Peace said...

"Maybe because having no worries is about taking responsibility for your actions, just not overly stressing over it."

—Well put. It's a laid back approach while still caring.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Victoria said...

It is a great philosopshy. As my mother-in-law once reminded me when I broke something, "it's only a thing." In the long run, it is our attitude about everything and anything that shapes not only us, but our health and our appearance and how we appear to others.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home