All The World's A Stage...

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" -As You Like It, William Shakespeare

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Parable?

ONCE there was a great stone that needed to be moved a large distance. It was decided that the only way it could easily be moved was if everyone in the town lined up around the edge of the boulder and all helped lift it up and carry it. So it was done as they said and they all started walking, the burden wasn't heavy on anyone and they only each had to carry a small amount of the weight. However, at mid day when the sun started getting especially hot, people started leaving. Some would say to themselves "I am hardly a help to the group, it is only a little bit of the weight that I am carrying" or "Why should I stay? Am I really helping much?" More and more people started slipping away and abandoning their job. The weight got heavier on those still carrying the stone and the load became more unbalanced. Now some were saying "The sun is very hot and the load seems to be getting heavier and heavier, who will notice my leaving?" or they would say "I am not very strong and I don't think I can carry this much longer, I should just let those stronger than me carry it." It went on in this way for a while with people slipping away from the stone, thinking it was unnoticed. Before it was even dusk there were very few left. It was very hard for them to carry it and even though they tried to struggle ahead it became impossible and the rock came crashing down to the ground.

6 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Thats such a good story!

A lot of stuff to learn from it!

1:58 PM  
Blogger King of Peace said...

Cool parable. I run into some of those at work too, but not this one. Nice post.

peace,
Frank
Irenic Thoughts

3:56 PM  
Blogger Victoria said...

You're right - similar to my blog. Sometimes it is hard to remember how much difference one person can make. Thanks for the reminder!

8:06 PM  
Blogger CSL said...

Yea! That family pressure to blog is something else, isn't it? I'll add this to my favorites to track.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Steele said...

Nice Blog Griff! I am now a subscribed reader : )

11:03 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Sad, but true. Makes me think of the way people say, "Why should I bother to vote? One vote won't make a difference."
Granny

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home