All The World's A Stage...

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" -As You Like It, William Shakespeare

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

What I really meant was...

Last week I took a trip to the Dixie Stampede. Unfortunately, we were seated on the side meant to cheer for the North. Let me just say that this was pretty hard for me, especially when we were supposed to boo the South. Okay, I admit, I did cheer when we were supposed to and appeared to be on their side, but call it my Southern roots, or just too many times watching Gone With The Wind, but inside the whole time I was loudly screaming for the South to win. During all the competitions, I may have screamed North! but inside I was saying "C'mon South, you're almost there, you can beat those yankees!". I think I may have even let a smile creep across my face when the South ended up winning. However, I don't think this is the only time that I've done this. I can think of other times when people voiced their opinions about politics, the environment, and other issues while I just kept my mouth shut about what they were saying, but inside was arguing back every point. Now, I'm not saying this is either good or bad, it really can go either way, but I think that everyone does this sort of thing every day to a certain extent. Sometimes, in a helpful way and sometimes just making the problem a lot worse.

6 Comments:

Blogger King of Peace said...

The thing I wonder about is when am I being respectfully, politely silent while someone rattles on with beliefs not my own and when am I being a wimp? Silence equals consent. When should I be silent and thought an idiot and when should I speak and confirm it? Or when should I do as you suggest and come up with witty, awesomely well-reasoned come backs and then let them amuse no one but me.

-Frank

8:20 AM  
Blogger Victoria said...

Reminds me of something about to happen in Brunswick. GlynnPeace is marching outside Rep. Jack Kingston's office to let him know they protest the war in Iraq. But, they got a letter from the Glynn County Republicans asking them not to do so because it is un-American. Since when is it un-American not to have the freedom to express what you believe even if it differs from what others believe? But, when it comes to being obnoxious or not . . . it's such a fine line.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Steele said...

When I am in this situation it really depends on whether or not the person is at all receptive to what you have to say. At times it can be the equivalent of argueing with a brick wall which is an intellectual and emotional waste of time. But I think most of the time taking the risk is worth it. I know I always welcome different perspectives and I have pretty strong beliefs.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm with Kate on this. You pick your battles. But sometimes you have to speak up, or people will assume you agree with them on an issue. And that can come back to haunt you. I was given a petition to sign (by a fellow teacher) to send to our congressman about legislation to restore prayer to schools. I had to explain why I wouldn't sign it. She was cool to me ever after. Oh, well.

8:01 AM  
Blogger King of Peace said...

All the comments taken into account, Griffin's original point of

"Now, I'm not saying this is either good or bad, it really can go either way, but I think that everyone does this sort of thing every day to a certain extent. Sometimes, in a helpful way and sometimes just making the problem a lot worse."

still holds up well. We all do it to some extent and as Kate and Laura point out, sometimes we shouldn't.

-Frank

8:11 AM  
Blogger Terrell said...

Great blog topic, Griffin. It's an issue I deal with constantly. I hold political opinions that differ a great deal from the norm in my church, among my fellow faculty members, among the parents of my students, and , certainly, in my family. Knowing when speaking up is necessary morally, and when it's not has been one of the great stresses in my life.

My blog has been a great relief of that stress. There I can express my beliefs publically with less likelihood of my readers/listeners interpreting my views as a personal affront.

I've enjoyed discovering the blogs of the Logue family. You write well. Wow, little Griffin is 15!!!!

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home