All The World's A Stage...

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" -As You Like It, William Shakespeare

Friday, December 29, 2006

I'm already against the next war.


As part of a school assignment I am reading The Once and Future King. A very good book, I might add. Yesterday, during my reading, I found a conversation I thought was interesting.

"There is only one fairly good reason for fighting and that is if the other man starts it. You see, wars are a wickedness, perhaps the greatest wickedness of a wicked species.They are so wicked that they must not be allowed. When you can be perfectly certain that the other man started them, then is the time that you might have a sort of duty to stop him." - Merlyn

"but both sides always say that the other side started them." - King Arthur

"Of course they do, and it is a good thing that it should be so. At least, it shows that both sides are concious, inside themselves, that the wicked thing about war is its beginning."

I was one of four democrats in my Civics class last semester, I believe three others claimed to be independent and all the rest were republican. I might add that I stuck out even more being that I was the only white democrat in the room. My teacher often would ask us our opinion on things being that we were the democrats. What I found was interesting though, was that on matters of war, I don't think a single person in the class ever agreed that it was a good thing. In fact every person thought that the war in Iraq was a bad decision. The thing is, I went to school with a few of these classmates in fourth and fifth grade. They were all for us fighting Iraq back then, I remember. You know what. Fighting afghanistan and Iran seemed like solid ideas to them at the time, too.

1 Comments:

Blogger Victoria said...

War. What is it good for? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home